Alternative Health — Oaxaca City, Oaxaca
Anyone interested in alternative healing practices and healthy foods can usually find what they are looking for in Oaxaca. Yoga, tai chi, alternative dance, and meditation classes; numerous types of massages and treatments; temazcal, an indigenous sweat lodge noted for its healing properties; and many restaurants and cafés offering vegetarian, organic, and natural foods are all available. Most of the listings' websites have current information on class times, costs, reservations, business hours, etc.
Schaá Patio de Luz • Alternative Health, Yoga • (G)
For yoga class times call or stop by the center and pick up a flier. They also offer massages and alternative healing treatment modalities: antistress, relaxation, Shiatsu, foot Reflexology, relaxing massage of neck and back, relaxing massage with Aromatherapy and hot stones, integral facial treatment with Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD), Reiki, vortex healing. Stop by center to arrange an appointment or phone. Afterwards continue to indulge yourself with a healthy vegetarian lunch in Café Gecko's serene patio.
- Cinco de Mayo 412, north of Bravo; North of Independencia, Centro Histórico; Mon - Sat 10 am - 7 pm, closed Sun; phone 951-514-9874; cell 044-951-128-4319, 044-951-158-9853; firstname.lastname@example.org, Alosja@gmail.com.
Casa del Ángel • Vegetarian Restaurant, Yoga • $-$$ • (C)
Located in the rear of the building, the studio offers yoga classes daily except for Sundays, along with meditation, dance, and tai chi on selected days. The full schedule of classes is posted online. Up front, in the quiet courtyard, the tiny café serves from a rotating menu of Indian, Méxican, and European cuisines, depending on the day. Everything is all natural and vegetarian, of course.
- Jacobo Dalevuelta 200, just east of Reforma; North of Iglesia de Santo Domingo, Centro Histórico; Café open Mon - Fri 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; MX$40 - 100; phone 951-518-7167; www.casadelangel.com.mx.
- Reforma 402, half-block north of Abasolo; North of Independencia, Centro Histórico; 9 rooms some w/ AC and/or balcony, $75/$85, (s/d); Most major credit cards; phone/fax 951-516-1165; www.lasbugambilias.com.
- Restaurant La Olla, 2-course Mexican gourmet breakfast included, Temazcal, cooking classes, roof-top terrace, multilingual staff, library with over 500 books, sitting room with TV and internet connected computer, access to medical services, non-smoking establishment, tour info, safe, laundry service, babysitter upon request, free local calls and international calls to the US, Canada, Japan, England, Ireland, Spain, Italy, and France.
- Room: Fans, wireless, phone.