Cerro del Fortín Urban Hike — Oaxaca City, Oaxaca
Walks & Hikes • (B)
Spectacular 360° views of the city and the surrounding valleys and mountains are the well-deserved reward for anyone making the moderately difficult trudge up the hill to the top of Cerro del Fortín. However, avoid the dirt road running north along the ridge behind the planetarium and observatory. It has long deserted stretches (making it especially attractive to two-legged predators) where several armed robberies and assaults have occurred recently. This warning is not just hype and should be taken very seriously.
- Beginning at the intersection of Indepedencia and Alcalá (across the street from the cathedral) walk up traffic-free Alcalá for about half a mile (0.8km) to Carranza.
- Turn left on Carranza and continue three blocks to Tinoco y Palacios.
- Turn right on Tinoco y Palacios and then almost immediately turn left on Boca del Monte. Continue one block to Crespo.
- Turn right on Crespo and continue about a block to the staircase on the left side of the Crespo.
- Continue up the staircase, through the tunnel, to the amphitheater.
- Veer right and continue to the road behind the amphitheater.
- Turn right at the road and continue for about half a mile (0.8km) to the planetarium. Here, the elevation is 5647' (1721m), about a 600' (183m) elevation rise from the Zócalo.