Emergencies — Oaxaca City, Oaxaca
In an emergency, the best thing you can do is to try and stay calm. If you are arrested, your first phone call should be to your country’s embassy or consulate.
|Red Cross Ambulance||065, 516-4455, 516-4003|
|Emergencies in the city||060|
|Emergencies in the state||066|
|Green Angels Highway Assistance||078|
|Center for the Protection of Tourists||502-1200 x1595|
|Federal Consumer Protection Agency||513-1399|
|Consulate of the United States||514-3054, 516-2853, cell# 044-951-547-1185|
|Consulate of Canada||513-3777, 01 (800) 706-2900|
|Municipal Police||060, 502-0004, 516-0400, 516-0555, 516-0455|
|Municipal Transit Police||512-6606, 512-6614|
|State Transit Police||572-5800, 572-5801, 572-5802, 572-5803|
|Federal Preventative Police||518-7870, 518-7871|
|Civil Protection||144-7027, 144-7028, 144-7029, 01-800-170-7070|
- Benito Juárez 703, across the street from El Llano park; North of Iglesia de Santo Domingo, Centro Histórico; Mon - Fri 8 am - 4 pm, closed Sat & Sun; phone 951-502-1200 x1595.
Instituto Nacional de Migración • Emergencies,Visa • (K)
A lost or stolen tourist permit should always be replaced before leaving México. Otherwise, be prepared for hassles with immigration officials and a possible fine to boot. Besides, even though it might take a few hours, getting a replacement isn't that difficult. To get a replacement, bring proof of arrival date in México — stamped passport, copy of lost tourist permit, or airline ticket — to the Immigration office (www.inm.gob.mx) at the airport. to any Migración office. To extend your stay, bring your tourist permit. There's another Migración office at the Oaxaca airport.
- Independencia 709, north of Alameda de León; Around the Zócalo, Centro Histórico; daily 9 am - 1 pm; phone 951-502-0004; www.inm.gob.mx.
Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor • Consumer Protection, Emergencies • (T)
The Federal Consumer Protection Agency's (PROFECO) mission is to protect the rights of consumers in México. They have a good track record for helping consumers. Anyone who thinks they've been overcharged or received sub-par service or goods should file a complaint with them.
- Heroico Colegio Militar 1109; Colonia Reforma; Mon - Fri 9 am - 5:30 pm, closed Sat & Sun; phone 951-513-1399; www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm.
Green Angels The federally funded Green Angels (Angeles Verdes) provides "free" roadside assistance daily from 8 am - 8 pm and 24 hour service during peak holidays. Green Angel drivers can't fix every repair, but they can tackle some minor repairs and services. Every agent has on hand basic spare parts, tires, gasoline, and oil. The service call is free. They charge for oil, gas, and parts. Most drivers speak good English. Tips are not required. However, they are allowed and welcomed. Dial 078 from any land line or cell phone in México to reach the national hotline. An operator will dispatch a local Green Angel to assist you.
Policía Municipal • Emergencies • (X)
In case of serious crimes like robbery and assault in Oaxaca City contact the Municipal Police. For emergencies dial 060 from any land line or cell phone in the city.
- Morelos 108, one block west of Aranda; North of Independencia, Centro Histórico; phone 951-502-0004, 951-516-0400, 951-516-0555, 951-516-0455.
Canadian Consulate • Canadian Embassy & Consulates • (R)
Honorary Consul is Frances May. For after-hour emergencies, Canadian citizens should contact the consulate at 01-800-706-2900 or call Ottawa toll-free at 001-800-514-0129.
- Pino Suárez 700, Plaza Brena Local 11B (across the street from El Llano park); North of Iglesia de Santo Domingo, Centro Histórico; Mon - Fri 10 am - 2 pm, closed Sat & Sun; phone 951-513-3777; fax 951-515-2147; www.mexico.gc.ca, www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca, www.voyage.gc.ca; firstname.lastname@example.org.
United States Consulate • United States Embassy & Consulates • (S)
This small consulate office is an extension of the Embassy in México City. Mark A. Leyes is the Consular Agent. For after-hours emergencies, American citizens should call 044-951-547-1185.
- Alcalá 407, Office #20 (Plaza Santo Domingo); North of Independencia, Centro Histórico; Mon - Fri 10 am - 3 pm, closed Sat & Sun; phone 951-514-3054, 951-516-2853; fax 951-516-2701; mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/main.html, travel.state.gov; email@example.com.