Grocery Stores — Oaxaca City, Oaxaca
There are a lot of convenience stores and corner markets in the Centro and surrounding neighborhoods, stocking many of the small items travelers often need to replenish, such as bottled water, basic toiletries, and snacks. Above and beyond that, try these grocery stores.
Xiguela • Grocery Store, Organic • (X)
This small corner store has, hands down, the best selection of organic and natural food in town. Indeed, if you have been looking for some special organic or natural product in the city and have not been able to find it, this place is your best bet. Across the street, the owner also runs Café Xiguela, a small corner café serving excellent coffee and espresso, as well as light, healthy snacks and sandwiches for vegetarians and carnivores.
- Southwest corner Hidalgo and Cinco de Mayo; Barrio de Jalatlaco, Centro Histórico; Mon - Fri 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.; phone 951-132-9121.
La Longa • Grocery Store • (M)
For anyone staying in close to the Centro, La Longa, tucked beneath the portales on the west side of the Zócalo, is a good first stop for basic groceries, and the wine selection, though small, is not bad, with wines from Italy, Spain, France, Chile, South Africa, and México.
- West side of Zócalo; Around the Zócalo, Centro Histórico; open daily.
Piticó is a regional chain of small to mid-size neighborhood grocery stores scattered about the city, well stocked with mostly nonperishable items, reasonably priced.
Piticó, Reforma • Grocery Store • (N)
- Reforma, north of Humboldt; North of Iglesia de Santo Domingo, Centro Histórico; open daily.
- Pirues, corner Cinco de Mayo; Barrio de Jalatlaco, Centro Histórico; open daily.
- Naranjos, east of Jazmines; Colonia Reforma; open daily.
The Soriana supermercados — shelves bulging with every imaginable edible, along with toiletries, pharmaceuticals, clothes, household and hardware supplies, toys, appliances … you name it — are as close as you’re going to get in the city to the full-spectrum shopping of a big-box store like Walmart. Near the Centro, the most convenient Soriana is seven blocks west of the Zócalo, where Independencia ends at Madero.
Soriana, Madero • Grocery Store • (Q)
- Madero 115, intersection Independencia; South of Independencia, Centro Histórico; open daily; phone 951-514-4519.