Movie Theaters — Oaxaca City, Oaxaca
notes, if any, go here...
Cineclub El Pochote • Movie Theater • (O)
Independent, art, Mexican, international (Spanish subtitles) films are shown for free. Look for a monthly schedule at cafés around town or check the schedule in front of the theater's entrance.
- García Vigil 817, one block north of Cosijopí; North of Iglesia de Santo Domingo, Centro Histórico; Tue - Sun 6 & 10 pm (usually), closed Mon; free, donations accepted; phone 951-514-1194; elpochote.blogspot.com; email@example.com.
Casa de la Cultura Oaxaqueña • Cultural Center, Movies • (C)
Housed in a lovingly restored late 18th century ex-convent on the southeastern edge of the Centro Histórico, the Center -- dedicated to preservation and promulgation of Oaxaca's cultural heritage -- has almost daily cultural events like art and photography exhibits, dance, movement and performance art, concerts, film screenings, plays, etc... Look for their fliers around town at many cafés and other public places with monthly schedules (Spanish only) of events. A lot of these events are free and -- although tourists are welcome -- they're put on for the benefit of locals. Next door to the Templo y Convento de los Siete Príncipes — Oaxaca City, Oaxaca.
- González Ortega, corner Colón; South of Independencia, Centro Histórico; open daily; phone 951-516-2483, 951-516-1154; www.casadeculturaoaxaquena.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alianza Francesa México • Cultural Center, Movies • (V)
The French cultural center in Oaxaca in conjunction with Casa de la Cultura Oaxaqueña occasionally screens French films. Look for Casa de la Cultura Oaxaqueña fliers (Spanish only) around town at many cafés and other public places for a schedule of the screenings.
- Morelos 306, just west of Crespo; North of Independencia, Centro Histórico; free; www.alianzafrancesa.org.
Both of these movie theaters are located in malls in the south side of the city. They both have excellent sound quality and comfortable seating, although they do tend to simultaneously run the some of the same films. Because they are so far south, the best way to get there is by taxi.
- Cinépolis: Plaza Oaxaca
- Av. Jorge L. Tamayo Castillejos No. 502 Int. Col. Agencia Candiani Plaza Oaxaca, C.P. 68130 Oaxaca de Juárez, Oaxaca
- 951-506-0885, 506-0886, 506-0887
- MMCinemas: Plaza de Valle, Universidad 109. way South of Independencia, www.mmcinemas.com